By the end of the 1930s Sacred Heart had developed into one of the most important parishes in the Archdiocese of New Orleans, with a population of more than 4000. The continuing financial generosity of the congregation facilitated many improvements in the physical plant and made it possible to fulfill the parish’s long held dream of a large, beautiful church. The cornerstone for the new church was laid in March, 1941, and the completed building was dedicated on May 17, 1942. The construction was underway at the same time the United States entered World War II, underscoring the incredible commitment and determination of the parishioners to the creation of the magnificent Sacred Heart Church.
The History, Art, and Architecture of Sacred Heart Church at a glance: Legacy of Pastors
| Stained Glass